Cost-Share Assistance Program
The McDowell Community Wildfire Network can offer cost-share assistance for residents of McDowell County wanting to hire a mitigation contractor to perform tasks to reduce their wildfire risk. We want to incentivize homeowners to carry out wildfire preparedness actions around their home and are willing to reimburse part of the total invoice cost to complete the work.
We can reimburse homeowners up to 40% of the cost!
There are 3 steps to receive cost-share assistance:
1. Fill out an application with the following attached:
- Current NCFS home assessment (free)
- Official quote from your chosen contractor
- "Before" picture(s) of the project area
2. Sign a reimbursement agreement. Have the contractor complete the mitigation work and pay them in full.
3. Submit proof of payment with "after" picture(s) of the project site and we will send you the reimbursement.
If you need to schedule your NCFS Home Assessment, you may contact the McDowell County Ranger to find a date and time. Assessments usually take 10-20 minutes, identifying potential wildfire risk areas around your home and property. Remember, the first step to build wildfire resiliency is to Identify Your Risk!
If you are unsure who could do the work, we have a list of trusted contractors that perform wildfire mitigation work within McDowell County. Contact us to get in touch with them!
Contact our Wildfire Preparedness Coordinator
for more information:
Jen Haas, 828-206-6159 or